2006 "Make-A-Difference Day" Walkathon Targets Local and Global Causes
Walk Aims to Help Local New Brunswick Teen Center As Well As Provide Educational Materials for Sudanese Children in Refugee Camps
Saturday, October 28, 2006.-Nearly a dozen organizations came out to support the 2006 Make-A-Difference Day Walkathon in New Brunswick, New Jersey. Teams came from across the state--such as Trenton High School and South Plainfield High School--supporting the idea that people everywhere should have access to literacy. More...
for Halloween? Kids Get Candy with Healthy Dose of Reading Materials
on the Side at the Rutgers University/City
of New Brunswick "Monster
October 27, 2006.- GLP volunteers brought something a little bit different to this year's Halloween program. Along with candy and
other such treats, some 100 families had the opportunity for their elementary
school age kids to win books and dictionaries. GLP volunteers LeAnne
Roberts and Valerie Thertus were very pleasantly surprised at how parents
expressed enthusiasm for the literary twist on Halloween giving.
from local elementary and grammar schools as well as any children staying
in local family shelters were invited to the Cook/Douglass Recreation
Center-converted for the night into a mini-festival space with its own
haunted house. More...
Volunteers Help Raise Awareness and Funds for the People and Refugees
of the Darfur Conflict With "Dance
for Darfur" Event
September 17, 2006.- GLP volunteers organized dance groups and speakers to raise awareness
and funds for civilians impacted by the conflict in the Darfur region
of Sudan. After more than three
years of violent conflict and atrocities, millions are
now hungry and displaced due to violence, and the latest research, published in September 2006 in the journal Science puts the numbers of deaths beyond those that would normally die in this area at "no fewer than 200,000." Event speakers expressed worries over a possible
escalation of the conflict. Supporters of the event were encouraged to support the United
Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF).
Project Volunteers Load 20-foot Container of Books
Destined for South African Rural Schools
June 24, 2006.- GLP volunteers took receipt of a donation of books from the Old Bridge
(New Jersey) school system. The books represent the district's old Harcourt
Brace Language Arts Literacy elementary series that is no longer being
used and ranged from first grade to fourth grade. They will be the cornerstone
of our upcoming donation to rural schools in South Africa.
are very grateful to the Old Bridge Board of Education, especially members
Gail Kubicke and Carrie Shreder who helped to put together this donation,
as well as Kevin Canton who was the pivotal liaison on the two Saturdays
it took to get the books sorted and loaded. More...
Life Family Worship Church Hosts New Jersey-wide Community Book
Drive for South African Children
is pleased to partner with the Abundant Life Family Worship
R.E.A.C.H ministry (under the leadership of Bishop George C. Searight
and Pastor Mary Searight) in a New Jersey-wide book drive to
benefit GLP supported schools and libraries in South Africa.
are collecting elementary to high school level textbooks as well
as general reading books. The group will also have "volunteer
days" for individuals and organizations to help sort and pack
at 259 George St., New Brunswick.
a.m.-2:00 p.m., Saturday, June 10, 2006
a.m.-12:00 noon, Saturday, June 24, 2006
Life Family Woship Center Members Show Their Support. To participate,
contact Joyelle Harris at email@example.com.
Inaugural Shipment of Books Launches "Culture of Reading Campaign" with the Reading Association of Nigeria
May 2006.- In April 2006 GLP sent a 40 foot container of books to RAN which has now arrived. Some 80% of the books were delivered to the shipment's primary sponsor, Joseph Ayo Babalola University (JABU) at Ikeji Arakeji in Osun state while the remainder (20%) were for RAN’s direct use for primary and secondary school libraries.
The GLP-RAN campaign plans to identify twenty pilot schools. The schools will be from the six geopolitical zones of the country and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). In each school RAN will embark on a school based, school cluster, participatory capacity building program for teachers and pupils/students with the goal of increasing literacy and developing a culture of reading. More...
|For More Stories About Our Activities and Accomplishments Go To Our ARCHIVES